Students will . . .
- Summarize the main ideas and the key details within a written text.
- Filter relevant information to recap a text’s content accurately and succinctly in one’s own words.
- Interpret and analyze what they have read.
- Organize information using concept maps and outlines in a text.
- Use question-generation/answer-elaboration to generate questions using stems based on Bloom’s Taxomony as well as explain and defend one’s answers.
- Be trained to actively engage and apply concepts to respective disciplines.
- Annotate readings to monitor their comprehension, note key details, and create a means for reflection and review of material.
- Use technology such as MyReadingLab, which personalizes a student’s instruction using benchmarks and skill mastery.
- Participate in a reading community through a student book club, guest speaker series, and reading centers.