Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How long does it take to complete the Cosmetology program?
- Students attend school Monday and Wednesday from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday they attend from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The students will complete the program in four semesters. Students must complete course requirements and meet the requirements for the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art. Attendance and performances are directly related to completing the course. Students who miss class frequently may increase their time for completion of requirements for licensure.
- 2. What other classes do I have to take with the Cosmetology Program?
- If students do not meet the Entrance level requirements for the Cosmetology Program, they will be required to take DRE 095 for preparatory courses. Classes required for a Diploma are ENG 102, ACA 111 and PSY 118 with the Cosmetology schedule. ENG 102 is held on Monday’s approximately from 8:00 to 9:25 a.m. ACA and PSY 118 classes are approximately 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. on Monday and Wednesday. Hours for these classes are not included in the hours accumulated toward the North Carolina State Board Certification.
- 3. How long before I can work on someone′s hair?
- To meet the Cosmetology Program requirements and the North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art requirements one must complete 300 hours as a BEGINNER STUDENT. This time gives the student a thorough understanding of theory and practical applications in the basics of the Cosmetology field. Practical applications are done on mannequins in this class. The remaining 1200 hours are completed as an ADVANCED STUDENT, and performances are done with live models and mannequins.
- 4. How much does it cost?
- An estimated cost for 1500 hours for four semesters is approximately $5,454.00 for day students. An estimated cost for 1500 hours for seven semesters is approximately $5,454.00 for evening students. These are estimated amounts and are subject to change according to the varying price increase for the cosmetology kit, books, and other instructional supplies.
- 5. What is the required dress code?
- The required dress code will consist of a clean pressed royal blue scrubs for females, clean pressed black scrubs for males, black lab jackets, solid black socks, solid black leather enclosed toe shoes with skid proof soles, Cosmetology name badge, and RCC name badge.