The policies relating to tuition refund for students are determined by the North Carolina Community College System Statewide Refund Policy for all North Carolina Community Colleges. Activity, lab, pre-college mathematics and technology fees are not tuition based and are non-refundable.
1. A refund shall not be made except under the following circumstances:
a. A 100 per cent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws prior to the first day of class(es) of the academic semester or term as noted in the college calendar. Also, a student is eligible for a 100 percent refund if the class in which the student is officially registered is cancelled due to insufficient enrollment.
b. A 75 per cent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class(es) prior to or on the official 10 percent point of the semester.
c. A student is not officially withdrawn from a course until a completed Drop Form has been submitted and processed by the Records Office. The effective date of withdrawal is the day the Records Office receives the completed form.
Drop/Add with no penalty after class(es) has started:
After the class(es) has started, students should complete all drop/add transactions in one process. If a student change(s) or drop(s) class(es), of equal hours during the same computer transaction, no additional cost will be incurred.
If the number of hours dropped are greater than the number of hours added, the 75% refund policy will apply to the tuition cost for the hours dropped.
d. For classes beginning at times other than the first week (seven calendar days) of the semester a 100 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to the first class meeting. A 75 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to or on the 10 percent point of the class.
e. A 100 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from a contact hour class prior to the first day of class of the academic semester or term or if the college cancels the class. A 75 percent refund shall be made if the student officially withdraws from a contact hour class on or before the tenth calendar day of the class.
f. Students who have not officially withdrawn and have not attended at least once by the 10 percent date of the term will be dropped by the instructor as No tuititon and fee adjustments/refunds will be made.
2. To comply with applicable federal regulations regarding refunds, federal regulations supersede the state refund regulations stated in this Rule.
3. When a student, having paid the required tuition for a semester, dies during that semester (prior to or on the last day of examinations of the college the student was attending), all tuition and fees for that semester may be refunded to the estate of the deceased.
4. For a class(es) which the college collects receipts which are not required to be deposited into the State Treasury account, the college shall adopt local refund policies.
Self Supporting Courses
1. A 100 percent of tuition paid will be refunded by the College if the student officially withdraws from the class prior to the first day of the term.
2. If student does not withdraw prior to the first day of the term and never attends the class, the student is still responsible for payment. No refunds will be granted.
3. A 100 percent of tuition paid will be refunded for any classes cancelled by the College.
Military Tuition Refund
Upon request of the student, each college shall:
1. Grant a full refund of tuition and fees to military reserve and National Guard personnel called to active duty or active duty personnel who have received temporary or permanent reassignments as a result of military operations then taking place outside the state of North Carolina that make it impossible for them to complete their course requirements; and
2. Buy back textbooks through the colleges’ bookstore operations to the extent possible. Colleges shall use distance learning technologies and other educational methodologies to help these students, under the guidance of faculty and administrative staff, complete their course requirements.