The Records and Registration Office (“Office”) is authorized to release student information. The Office subscribes to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regarding release of student information. Students who do not want directory information released should contact the Records and Registration Office and complete a form for non-release of directory information.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, prescribes the conditions under which information about students can be released. It is the policy of Robeson Community College (“College”) to follow those guidelines to protect the privacy of students. The following student rights are covered by the Act and afforded to all eligible students of the college:
1. The right to inspect and review information in the student’s educational records.
2. The right to request amendment of the contents of the student’s educational records if believed to be inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
3. The right to prevent disclosure without consent, with certain exceptions, of personally identifiable information from the student’s informational records.
4. The right to secure a copy of the College’s policy.
5. The right to file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the provisions of the Act.
Each of these rights, with any limitations or exceptions, is explained in the College’s policy statement, which may be found in the RCC Student Catalog and Handbook.
The College may provide directory information in accordance with the Act without written consent of an eligible student, unless that student requests in writing that such information not be disclosed. The following items are designated as directory information and may be released on any student for any purpose at the discretion of the College unless a written request for nondisclosure is on file: name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, dates of attendance, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of sports teams, the most recent previous institution attended, major field of study, and degrees and awards received.
Students who wish to request nondisclosure of the above items may complete a Nondisclosure Form available from the Records and Registration Office in Building 13.